[TowerTalk] Pier pin vs. burying in concrete

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Pier pin vs. burying in concrete
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 07:22:53 -0400
At 05:01 AM 5/31/01 -0600, n4kg@juno.com wrote:
>Yes, a pier pin is a good choice and has
>been reported to allow for higher loads than
>a rigid (in concrete) base.
>
>But is it really Cheaper?
>
>Isn't the cost of base plate about the same as a straight section?

Not quite but close, when I bought mine.  Of course, if you have to move a
tower all you leave behind is the pier pin.

When I was looking into the choice, one knowledgeable engineer-type
commented that the load benefit was true in theory.  However, he doubted
how much you really got from the Rohn implementation, since it has a large
flat plate bearing against the top of the concrete base.  As he saw it,
that left the tower less free to move around the pier pin, particularly
when under strong compression from wind forces acting through the guys.  In
other words, the greater the wind, the more it would act like like an
embedded base.

73, Pete N4ZR
No, no ... that's WEST Virginia

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----