[TowerTalk] 120V AC Electric Winch

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 120V AC Electric Winch
From: w9jcc@juno.com (Frank C. Travanty)
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 22:38:54 -0500
Mark,
My next door neighbor and both have HDX-555's and recently installed the
US Tower electric winch. As for the price, the Amatuer catalogs were
advertising ~ $900.00. (about 200.00 below the UST list price at the
time). I'm assuming there was a price hike after Dayton? We got a Dayton
special for which was only a couple of hundred dollars more than other
types we had priced at a local farm & Industrial suppliers.  As for the
shipping, UST advertises a shipping weight of 155 lbs. I weighed mine
while still in the crate, and it weighed ~ 130 lbs, so I think it could
be UPS shippable, to save a few bucks. Bottom line most of the safety and
mounting concerns of going with an alternate winch go away. It has a real
husky worm gear, & one HP AC motor. Comes with the power cable and
controll switch & 110 volt AC plug installed. From the way its built, I'm
sure the capacity is limited by the strength of the cable. I'm not trying
to plug UST, only happy I went the route I did. Installation a snap -
consists of 4 bolts to mount the winch to the existing holes in the tower
& hooking up the cable. (need a strong guy to hold it in place for the
first bolts)

73 & good luck,
Frank

On Sun, 1 Jul 2001 15:48:11 -0600 "K7HPH" <k7hph@xmission.com> writes:
> I have been looking for an AC winch to drive my HDX-555 Crank Up.
> Aside from
> the $1,500.00 US Tower Solution, I have seen an AC winch advertised
> in the
> Glen Martin Engineering Catalog that looks like it might do the job.
>  The
> cost is under $600.00 and the 4000 lb capacity should be adequate
> for the
> HDX-555. The problem that I am having is that whenever  I request
> detailed
> specs and mounting dimensions from GM, I only get capacity and cost;
> which
> is what the catalog already shows. Does anyone on the reflector know
> the
> details of this winch? Did Glen Martin have it at Dayton this year?
> I would
> be interested in getting additional information if it is available.
>
> Thanks for the help. 73, Mark...
>

> List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer?
> Call us
> for information on our fabulous Trylon Titan self-supporting towers
> - up to
> 96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
> HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
> www.ChampionRadio.com</A>
>
> -----

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!