[TowerTalk] Braided Ground Strapping

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Braided Ground Strapping
From: w5kp@swbell.net (J. Kincade)
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 20:30:58 -0500
Copper roofing is all the rage for commercial buildings and some high-end
private residences, so my local scrap metal dealer always has a bunch of
leftover pieces on hand from the commercial roofers, who sell him all their
copper roofing scraps. I buy it for $1 a pound, and 5 pounds is a lot of
copper roofing, in pieces 6"-12" wide and 3 to 4 feet long. Cutting it with
tin snips works fine, but will leave an edge you could shave with, so
getting it roller-cut into 1" strips or whatever at a sheetmetal shop might
be a good idea. I just clamped the strips between two pieces of wood in a
vise and cleaned the dangerous edges up with a file. Took a few minutes, but
no big deal. That was one of the several times I wished I had a power
nibbler. I saw a 100' roll of 2" at HamCom in Dallas, the guy wanted $150
for it.  Sheesh.
73, Jerry W5KP