[TowerTalk] FW: National Lightning Safety Awareness Week

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: National Lightning Safety Awareness Week
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L Martin)
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 19:35:00 -0500
Our emergency preparedness officer at work sent this to everyone at work
today.  I thought it might be worth sharing.

If it's inappropriate for the reflector, I apologize.  I have a tower and I
am concerned about lightning and it's proximity to my tower, my house, my
radios and me.

73,
dale, kg5u

> > Did you know there was a National Lightning Safety Awareness Week?  Did
> > you know it is THIS week?  We've had a couple of incidents over
> the years
> > where a better understanding of how to be safe when lightning threatens
> > would have been helpful.
> >
> > The web links provided by the Spaceflight Meteorology Group (SMG) in the
> > note below make it easy for all of us to come to grips with lightning
> > safety this week.  The links are listed by separate days of the week so
> > you can read a little of the awareness literature each day this
> week (I'm
> > a day late, so you might have to read two sections today).  Or, if you
> > have a keen interest or want to read ahead in case there's a test on
> > Friday, you can visit all the links on a single day!  Consider
> mixing the
> > days up as you visit the links - who would know?
> >
> > As a last resort, the SMG folks have compiled a terrific
> lightning safety
> > briefing suitable for presentation to your work group that exposes a lot
> > of myths and provides accurate facts about lightning.  For example, did
> > you know that lightning doesn't always strike the tallest object around?
> > This is all good information to share with your coworkers, family and
> > community groups.  The SMG web site is on the internal JSC web
> but all the
> > other links are accessible from any Internet capable PC at home
> or in your
> > community library.
> >
> > Good luck and stay safe!
> >

> > Bob Gaffney
> > JA17/Emergency Preparedness Manager

> > National Weather Service (NWS).
> > http://www.LightningSafety.noaa.gov
> >
> > Lightning is the #2 storm killer in the U.S., killing more than
> tornadoes
> > and hurricanes combined.
> >
> > Each day of Lightning Safety Awareness Week has a theme.   Please
> > reference http://www.LightningSafety.noaa.gov for more information:
> >
> > Monday..........Lightning Overview
> > http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/overview.htm
> > Tuesday.........The Science of Lightning
> > http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/science.htm
> > Wednesday.....Lightning Safety Outdoors
> > http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/outdoors.htm
> > Thursday.........Lightning Safety Indoors
> > http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/indoors.htm
> > Friday.............Medical Impacts of Lightning
> > http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/medical.htm
> >

> > SMG Weather Safety Page:
> > http://www.srh.noaa.gov/smg/safety.htm
> >

> > NWS Spaceflight Meteorology Group
> > NASA/JSC
> > http://www.srh.noaa.gov/smg

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----