[TowerTalk] Wires in trees

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wires in trees
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 08:24:03 -0500
> Even if you do get a good shot there is the risk that you can't pull
> up a heavier line without it snagging.  The trick is to not attach the
> heavier line to the weight.  Remove the weight.  Alternatively, attach
> it to the reel end and cut off the line there.  You will have to pull
> a small knot over the intervening branches.  You won't have to pull
> the weight and knot which increases changes of a snag.

I attach nylon rope to the reel-end of the fishing line.  I tie the fishing
line to the nylon rope about an inch or 2 from the end of the rope.  The
fishing line then lies alongside the rope, and then I tape it with duct tape
such that it tapers from the rope down onto the fishing line.  Although
there's a change in diamater, it's tapered and less likely than a rope knot
to snag under the bark.  With 50 pound fish line and this tapered
attachment, I can usually pull the rope up the first time.

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----