[TowerTalk] Re: [Dx] question about G5RV antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: [Dx] question about G5RV antennas
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 14:02:07 -0600
The pattern and gain will be different on every band.
Where the antenna acts as a long wire, maximum gain
will be in the lobes closest to the wire, typically 25 to 35
degrees each side of the wire depending on length and frequency.

Here is an empirical analysis I wrote on the subject in 1997.
There might be 2 dB gain at the center of the peak lobe
on the high bands.  Less on the lower bands.  Some
descriptions imply vertical radiation from the 2 wire
transmission line.  Don't believe it.

Tom  N4KG

The G5RV is a 100 foot center fed wire antenna.
Think of it as a long wire for each band and look up the patterns
for each length in the ARRL  Antenna Book or other source.

80M     .35 WL  "short" dipole  figure 8 pattern broadside to wire

40M     .70 WL   "long" dipole   figure 8 pattern broadside to wire

30M     2X .5 WL  Two Half waves in phase - figure 8 pattern 50 degrees
wide
                                     broadside to wire
20M      3/2 WL current fed LW - 6 lobes - 4main lobes approx 35* to wire
                                2 minor lobes broadside to wire
17M      2X  1 WL voltage fed LW's - 4 lobes approx 40* to wire

15M      2X  1.1 WL voltage fed LW's - 4 major lobes, possible minor
        (this is my "intuitive analysis...check w/modeling program)
12M      5/2 WL current fed LW - 10 lobes - 4 main lobes approx 30* from
wire

10M      2X 3/2 WL  voltage fed LW - 6 lobes - 4 main lobes approx 35* to
wire
                                       2 minor lobes broadside to wire

de  Tom  N4KG  11 / 26 / 97

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001  larry fields <n6hpx_du3@yahoo.com> writes:
>   Last march,while I was operating from Manila,as DU1,
> I was using 2 G5RV's,and they worked pretty good..
>   My question is what<if any> is the DB gain on these
> antennas,I have never seen any recent reviews on
> em..the antennas are the 100 foot and 50 foot
> models,and the 100 ft. was operated at 51 feet above
> the ground..
>    Thanks,Larry,n6hpx/du1
>
> p.s. I am thinking of using a M2loop for 6 meters,next
> time I return there in January..whats a opinion on this..

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----