[TowerTalk] Mast galvanizing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast galvanizing
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider)
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 01:55:39 +0100
TT's,

Let me correct a statement I made a week ago.

I was wrong when I stated that galvanizing will lower the tensile strength
of the steel. I was using a "rule-of-thumb" that I have now determined to be
incorrect.  See below:

Galvanizing of steel with tensile strength of less than 150,000# does not
effect the resulting tensile strength of the material after galvanizing.

I checked with the American Galvanizing Association and they faxed me
excerpts from the ASTM and other references.

So, unless the initial tensile strength of the steel to be galvanized
exceeds 150,000#, galvanizing it will not affect its strength after
galvanizing.  Typical tensile strength of chrome molly steel is in the
100,000# - 120,000# range.

73,

Bill, N3RR

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----