[TowerTalk] Question - Routing of Coax around Rotator Shelf

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Question - Routing of Coax around Rotator Shelf
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:47:18 EDT
In a message dated 7/20/01 6:27:04 AM Pacific Daylight Time, aa4lr@arrl.net
writes:

> I know that you're supposed to route all cables INSIDE the tower. This
>  works for me right up to the 40' level, were the standard Rohn AS25
>  rotator shelf completely blocks the tower interior. In my case, I have an
>  AG3 top, so there's still a couple of feet of tower to route the cable
>  within.
>
>  How do others do this?
>
>  * Jump around the shelf, bringing the coax back in, and up the tower leg
>  before the rotation turn loop where the taper stops.
>
>  * Go outside shelf, leaving the coax outside the tower before the
>  rotation turn loop.
>
>  * Starting the rotation turn loop at the shelf.

    * Run them down a leg on the outside of the tower.

    While running the cables inside a tower is somewhat handy since the tower
acts as a Farraday shield for lightning protection, IMO it's a real pain in
the butt to put them inside and takes longer than simply running them
outside. The vast majority of commercial towers have their cables down the
outside.

Cheers,     Steve     K7LXC
Tower Tech

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----