[TowerTalk] Re: Horizontal Loop

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Horizontal Loop
From: zl1aih@ihug.co.nz (Ken McCormack)
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 11:13:25 +1200
An article "Americanizing the German Quad" appeared in a 70's
issue of "73 Magazine" and used an open stub to achieve a
reasonable match to open wire line for 80 through 10 for a full wave
horizontal 80m loop.    Using a 66' feeder, 4:1 balun, 30' RG8 and L
match to rig, I smoked a BN-86 and an Amidon kit balun with only
100 watts.   (slow learner)   With a matchbox-type tuner, the loop
played quite well.   Change of QTH and proliferation of PCs brought
lots of computer noise on 80 and 40, using vertical antennas.
Another full-wave 80m loop virtually eliminated the problem.   In A to
B tests on 80m, the loop easily outperformed the Marconi "T" (30
buried radials) up to 1500 miles, but for DX the vertical was far
superior as expected.   Still using the match-box and open wire line.
For DX, I use the loop for receiving.

73, Ken ZL1AIH

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----