[TowerTalk] tieing utility and tower grounds together

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] tieing utility and tower grounds together
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider)
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 21:52:52 -0400
Jim,

You will see from my installation
http://users.erols.com/n3rr/photos/grounding_pictorial.jpg that I had the
same issue where my Single Point Ground (SPG) entry point into the house was
some 40 feet from the electrical/phone entry point.

I suggest you create a ground-grid using a series of 8 foot ground rods,
spaced 16 feet apart and 8 feet away from the house, and connected to that
galvanized ground rod connected to the electrical/phone.  Then connect the
other end of this ground grid to one of the ground rods at the tower. Keep
all ground rods no closer than the sum of the lengths of the rods being
connected together.  Since I can only form a mental picture your
installation from your description, I think I have it right.  By using a
ground grid as I described, *at the ground rods*, you may "direct" the grid
to any direction necessary.  That way, you can route it to the tower which
sounds like it's around the corner of the building from the A/C entry.

If I have interpreted it wrong, let me know.  Take a look at my installation
by looking at my Website:
http://users.erols.com/n3rr/lightningprotection/index.htm.  Then ask
questions.

73,