[TowerTalk] 80M dipoles/height gain

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80M dipoles/height gain
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 20:28:02 -0600
On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@akorn.net> writes:

> Hi Tom,
>
> >  From North Alabama, my 130 ft high dipole is usually
> >  better to most of Europe and Africa than my elevated GP
> >  or ground mounted wire vertical.  There ARE times when
> >  the GP or vertical are better, especially to Northern EU.

        The elevated GP has been 6 to 10 dB stronger
        on RX and TX into OH / SM around 0500Z.
        It 'plays' well into HL / JA / UA0 and the Pacific.

> How far are you verticals from other vertical metallic structures,
> and  have you checked the patterns?

        The Elevated GP is 75 ft North of my 55 ft tower
        with 5L10's at 32 and 62 ft plus 4L15 at 55 ft.
        This does seem to affect the pattern to the South
        since I was unable to work XZ0A at sunset on the
        GP but did work them on the wire vertical located
        in the SE corner of my property (~150 ft east of
        a 130 ft tower with 80M inverted vee at 100 ft and
        3L15 on top.  The #14 Wire Vertical (1/2 bowtie) has
        50 radials, mostly 100 ft long except due East
        where they are 70 ft.  Fed with 1/2 inch CATV
        hardline to 1/4 WL of RG59.   N4KG

        Property is 540 ft N/S, 300 ft E at N end,      400 ft E
        at S End.  Wandering creek forms E boundary.

> How good are your ground and feed systems?
        See above.

> How traditional are your verticals?
        See JUNE 1994 QST for elevated GP
        Feed impedance is 17 ohms resistive at 3.6 MHz
        fed with parallel 1/4 WL RG59 to 150 ft of 1/2 inch
        CATV hardline.  10 radials insulated from tower.
>       N4KG
>
> 73, Tom W8JI
> W8JI@contesting.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----