[TowerTalk] Optimum Stacking Distance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Optimum Stacking Distance
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 22:27:58 -0400
> Tom of course theoretically you are right but in the real life and real
> practical situations the longer boom you have the wider spacing for
> maximum gain is needed. (OK various nulls and lobes are comming but....).
> The discussion - if I understand it well goes for Yagis 0.5 - 1.5 WL !

 I didn't intend to start an argument, just to point out HOW it works.

Some people like to know how or why something happens, some
people like to just plod along clueless about how or why things
work the way they do. If someone has no interest in how it works,
they should just ignore my post and believe what they like.

As Mauri points out, that old rule of thumb came from VHF
antennas and was just a rough rule. It was used because most
people could not model or calculate optimum distance, and it was
better than nothing.

A person who cares about results would model the antenna, not
use a rule of thumb that may be incorrect. Stacking distance is not
a function of boom length, it is a function of individual antenna
patterns and what you want to obtain.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

-----