[TowerTalk] Wide spaced Yagis

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wide spaced Yagis
From: sabrams@nycap.rr.com (Saul Abrams)
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 23:49:24 -0400
I have had a 4 on a 54 foot boom (actually 57 with a 3 foot tail for
balancing) up for over 7 years.   (and Fred, K2TR has a pair of 6's on a 54
(57) which has been up at least 10-15 yrs).   The boom is made cheap and
easily with 20 feet of 3 inch irrigation tubing slipped over the ends of a
20 foot piece of 2 1/2 inch aluminum emt (a little less than 3" OD).  Just
add a few inches of emt in the boom where you have to clamp down for an
element.  It has one set of vertical boom supports and is up 100 feet.  We
get a lot of snow in the Albany, NY  area, but we don't get very much icing.
We also don't get many hurricanes or tornadoes, but we have seen our share
of 50+ mph storms.  It moves horizontally a little in the wind, but it's
like the sappling bending with the wind while the mighty oak falls over.
And yes, it is hard on the ego to say you "only" have a 4 el beam when you
really have a 6 el boom!  But it really plays!