[TowerTalk] Phillystran guys - all done.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Phillystran guys - all done.
From: w5kp@swbell.net (J. Kincade)
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 22:30:05 -0500
Here's my plug for Phillystran and grips: I was a bit apprehensive about the
grip installations, having never used grips period, let alone on
Phillystran. But surprisingly, mine all  went on slicker than duck snot, and
look great. Put the thimble in a vise, do about two or three complete wraps
on the strand with both sides of the grip, then stop and pull out about 10
or 15 feet of straight Phillystran and put some tension on it before you
finish the grip wrapping job. Wrap both grip legs at once. For tensioning I
used a 10' piece of 1/4" chain with a Klein grip hooked to one end. Just the
weight of the chain and grip hanging in the air was enough to keep
sufficient tension on the strand while I finished wrapping the grips. It was
a piece of cake, came out great. Putting grips on the EHS sections of guy
was even easier, since you don't have to fool with the tension thing. I'll
never use another clamp on a guy! Now that I've sort of gotten over how much
the Phillystran cost, I don't miss putting those nine hundred insulators in
each guy, either. BTW, 200' of 6700 lb Phillystran rolled up weighs only
about 11 pounds.

73, Jerry W5KP

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----