[TowerTalk] Battle Creek Special (+ Low Band alternatives)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Battle Creek Special (+ Low Band alternatives)
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 18:53:08 -0600
The Battle Creek Special is basically a trapped vertical
for 40 and 80M and a top-loaded inverted L on 160M.
Naturally, it requires a good radial field for efficient operation.

To my mind, it might be better for (large) DXpeditions to use
separate antennas for each of the low bands. Another idea
is the under-appreciated MFJ-1792 80 / 40 vertical which is
full size on 40M with an isolating / loading coil for 80M plus
an 80M Top Hat.  It is rated at 1500W on 40M and 1000W on
80M.  For 160M, a simple inverted L or T-Top vertical made from
any kind of mast plus top loading wires should be realatively
easy to install and tune.  With separate antennas for 160 and
80, simultaneous operation could be realized on the all too
brief sunrise and sunset enhancements on the Low Bands.

Tom  N4KG