[TowerTalk] Shortened 80m dipole/inverted vee

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Shortened 80m dipole/inverted vee
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 14:08:09 -0400
Hi Tom,

You've received many good answers, but keep this in mind:

> After taking a lightnming hit I'm redoing the antenna configuration on my
> crank up tower.  One question is does anyone know how efficient a
> shortened 80 meter dipole/inverted vee (80 ft) is versus the advertised
> "full size" 80m dipoles of 130 ft or so?

You are generally better off to use lumped loading rather than
feedline loading, of you are worried about getting every last watt out.

Factually though, an 80 foot long antenna would probably be OK no
matter what loading method you use other than something on the
house side of a feedline.

You really don't want to run a extreme SWR on any length of
feedline unless you are careful what you are doing. This is
especially true when the antenna is short. The reason is a short
antenna has higher current for a given amount of power, and
transmission line loss is dominated by conductor losses. So try to
keep the loading IN the antenna, not in the feedline!
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----