[TowerTalk] Rotator lightning protection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotator lightning protection
From: SPELUNK.SUENO@prodigy.net (EUGENE SMAR)
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 21:35:54 -0400
Folks:

     I'm preparing for the next phase of my tower project - installation of
cables and antennas.  (Grounding and conduit run are finished, but nothing
more to report.)  I'll be grounding the coax shields at the tower top and
bottom of the tower and at the SPG panle outside the shack, plus installing
Polyphaser protectors, but what about the rotator control cable?  Here are
my questions?

1.   Can the Polyphaser for the rotator cable be installed outdoors (or
outside of a protected cabinet)?  If it's possible, I'd like to mount the
rotator cable protector immediately outside of the enclosure at the base of
the tower before the cable enters the enclosure to go into the conduit run
to the shack.  Maybe using Liquid Tape or similar will protect the
connections(?).  (I'm concerned that I'd be bringing lightning energy into
the enclosure where it might couple onto the coaxes on the shack side of
the protectors.)

2.   Can I otherwise protect the rotator innards from a lightning strike?
I'm concerned about the indicator pot and the windings going ka-PUT during a
strike.  I read recently a suggestion to use MOVs on some of the terminals
on a TT2, but these gizmos will vaporize in a direct, or even nearby,
strike.

     TIA for any suggestions.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F