[TowerTalk] Tribander and 40M beam

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tribander and 40M beam
From: satcom@lava.net (Stuart Browne)
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 21:23:38 -1000
I've had my F12 C4XL up on my Tri-ex LM-470 now for two years. At my QTH it was
fairly easy install onto the top section of my crank-up which is accessable from
my flat roof. Tuning was done with a MFJ analyzer and it tuned without alot of
work. The performance at various heights has been great. When cranked up at 70 '
at a QTH with a sharp drop off towards the ocean, WH6H has won two section
awards
in the ARRL DX Phone test and KH6ND (at WH6H) nearly set a world record for the
CQWW DX CW test last fall. I turn it with a Yaesu G-1000dxa and it's so light it
really turns fast and stops on a dime. Because I'm near the ocean, all of the
u-bolt hardware has rusted(even though I painted it all) and I had one of the 40
meter aluminum wire tuning elements break off at the standoff due to corrision
due to dis- similar metals. I'll repalce the u-bolts with SS on of these days.
All in all its been a good all around antenna with good forward gain and on 40
its a big improvement over a Butternut vertical and an Inverted V.  I must say
my
old TA-33 jr ( which I got for free) at 20'  also worked well from this
QTH....its the old story all over again: location, location, location ! GL.

Aloha,
Stu -- WH6H
see www.qrz.com/wh6h for the C4XL up on my Tri-Ex.

> At 09:59 AM 8/20/01 -0600, Kevin Hemsley wrote:
> >
> >I'm getting close to the point of ordering an antenna for the new tower.
> >I'm trying to decide between a single Force 12 C-4XL or a C-3 and an
> >EF-240s.  The cost difference is within $1.  Any thoughts about the benefits
> >of a single antenna vs a tribander and a two element 40M beam?
>
> Well, your mileage may vary, but here's what I see.
>
> The C-4XL puts significantly more torque on the tower, by virtue of its
> longer boom.  N6BT talked me out of one for my Rohn 25 in favor of the pair
> of antennas, for that reason.
>
> Weaknesses of the separate antennas --
>
> The 40m feedpoint is a long way from the mast, making it inconvenient to
> tweak for best match; and
>
> you probably need 10 feet minimum spacing -- mine is only 6 feet, and I
> have turned the 40m yagi 90 degrees to reduce perturbation of the 15 meter
> performance of the C-3.
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR
>
> List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,
> supporting towers up to 96 feet for under $1500!!  http://www.anwireless.com