[TowerTalk] RE: [Kenwood] Ford RFI noise.. ?FIX

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: [Kenwood] Ford RFI noise.. ?FIX
From: alsopb@gloryroad.net (alsopb)
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 02:07:15 +0000
Guys,

It means nothing that a VHF RX doesn't show much noise-- if you are
interested in HF operation.

First of all spark transmitters are primarily MF/HF noise generators.
They don't have much energy in the VHF region.  I'd like to suggest
that the DC pump in the gas tank is probably a spark transmitter.

Second are you listening to them with an FM rx?  Recall FM was
invented to suppress this type of noise.

To give you an example.  Have you noticed the "crummy" locations that
cell phone antennas are placed?  Many are right next to or actually
mountied on a high voltage transmission towers.  The spark generated
noise simply doesn't put out much energy in the UHF part of the
spectrum.

73 de Brian/K3KO

Alan Wolke wrote:

> For what its worth, I have a 1998 Ford F-150, and have run a Kenwood TM-231 2m
> mobile, and currently run an Icom IC-706MkII, and both have been VERY quiet.
> I'm
> running power leads directly to starter solenoid on the firewall (about 10"
> from
> the battery), and antennas are mounted to the bed.
>
> 73, Alan
>
> Jerry Curry wrote:
>
> > Fuel Pump Noise....
> >
> > I have an 89 Nissan with the same problem. I tracked it down to the fuel
> > pump. Nissan says 'their fuel pumps don't make RFI'.  Have same noise
> > problem with my Mazda (ford's distant cousin) but they said to go buy
> > the Ford fuel pump filter and have Ford install it in my Mazda. I have
> > the filter..cost me $81.00.  They want another $130 to install it.
> >
> > It's time to buy a new truck. Would be nice to hear what vehicles are
> > pretty clean as far as engine computer and fuel pump noise goes.  Any
> > comments about Toyota, Dodge Dakota, or any other rigs that folks have?
> >  Chevrolet gets good marks from what I hear. Somehow an S9 noise level
> > from your fuel pump takes a lot of the fun out of mobile operating.
> >
> > 73
> > Jerry (KL7EDK)
> >
> > KCC-Amateur wrote:
> > >
> > > See Ford Article: 95-11-3