[TowerTalk] Rebar

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rebar
From: kr7x@gte.net (Hank Lonberg)
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 12:04:02 -0700
Arliss:

You can and you can't.  If you are using ASTM A706
grade reinforcing you can weld all you want. It is
a weldable grade.

Most rebar you get is ASTM  A60 grade. It is not
recommended to weld to it as the heat of welding
creates stress notches and reduces the strength of
the bar by over 1/2. You can however weld it if
you follow the preheat proceedure in ASW D1.4,
Reinforcing steel welding code. The preheat is I
believe 300 degrees F for 1/2 hour or close to
that.

My recommendation ... if you want to weld use A
706 grade. I've seen it at Home Depot before. Look
at the bars and the grade will be stamped on them
as A60 or A706.

Hope this clears it up.
 73

Hank Lonberg. P.E.,S.E.  / KR7X

w7xu wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Can someone please remind me why it is that, at least in
> general, you aren't supposed to weld rebar?  I was thinking
> of just tacking together the corners of a rebar cage to
> make is a bit easier to handle (as compared to just wired
> together).
>
> Thanks & 73,
>
> Arliss  W7XU
>
> List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,