[TowerTalk] Weatherproofing for copper coils?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Weatherproofing for copper coils?
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider (N3RR))
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 18:15:52 -0400
UGGGGH!

Why re-invent the wheel?  This is a 20 year old, PROVEN, antenna.  Plenty of
articles tell you how to solve the problems you guys are asking about now.
Why not just follow them?

Go to Leeson's book and several QST articles, do what they tell you to do,
and be done with it.  The inductance is well-known.  Shrink wrap that costs
$2/foot is a BARGIN.  So it will cost you $16 in shrink-wrap.  It will solve
your problem easier than winding coils of unknown inductance and resuls.

What am I missing here?

Yes, I have two of these antennas up at 67/134 ft (stack).  Yes, I beefed
them both up to QHS++ and added RR++ as well.  Yes, I used additional shrink
wrap on the coils.  Yes, they work magnificantly.

Bill, N3RR