[TowerTalk] Round vs. Flat

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Round vs. Flat
From: K7NV@contesting.com (Kurt Andress)
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 18:21:27 -0700
Barry wrote:

> Kurt,
> What exactly do those numbers mean? When the elements are
> braodside to the wind it's 11.5 and when parallel it's 4.1? Obviously
> not, but what number should be used when figuring how much to
> (over)load a tower?
> 73,
> Barry

Barry,
You had it right, 11.5 with the antenna pointed into the wind (elements
broadside), 4.1 with boom
broadside.

Which of the two numbers depends on how clever you think you are. If you have
designed a rotator
control system that will always keep the boom broadside to the wind, you might
think about using the
small number.
Otherwise, use the big one, that's the worst case static load this antenna
would generate.

--
73, Kurt, K7NV

http://yagistress.freeyellow.com