[TowerTalk] True Or Not True #2

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] True Or Not True #2
From: pbarkey@bsu.edu (Barkey, Patrick M.)
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 15:57:26 -0500
As a purely logical matter, we must accept the fact
that any increase in ERP produces a detectable difference
in signal strength.  Small increases in gain may
require more perceptive instruments than the human
ear and/or the S meter on a ham tranceiver.

The question for HF contesters, at least, is what
improvement in performance (as measured by contest
scores) can be obtained from some unit of gain?

I think the scenario laid out by Pete is quite
reasonable.  People like to work loud signals,
for a variety of reasons.  When you are louder,
more people call you, and you achieve higher
scores.

Why else are we doing all this crazy stuff?

  - Pat
    N9RV