[TowerTalk] Kevlar rope for truss?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Kevlar rope for truss?
From: jon.ogden@cain-forlaw.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 15:51:08 -0500
Kevlar rope is extremely good and strong.  I know, I race sail boats.  If
anyone wants to see strong forces of nature take a 40 footer upwind in 20
knotts!

Anyhow, that withstanding, I think the suggestions to use Phillystran are
probably better than a rope.  The rope would certainly work but rope exposed
to weather all the time tends to wear just from being exposed to rain, etc.
You definitely want something to protect the kevlar from UV as UV seriously
tends to degrade it over time.  That outer shell of the rope helps for that
but as the Phillystran has a UV protective coating, I would just rather use
that.

73,

Jon
NA9D