[TowerTalk] Shortened Dipole on 160M

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Shortened Dipole on 160M
From: alsopb@gloryroad.net (alsopb)
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 19:47:52 +0000
K7GCO.

Wrong philosophy.  Try the products first in the model and if it
doesn't provide any improvment throw it in the trash.  Your design
first by prototype philosophy is not what any engineering firm would
do today.  I suppose there are some who would try but they wouldn't be
around long.

Second.  You have now completely changed the design you talked about
to try and make it work.  What if you were doing this in the real
world? What a waste of time and $$.

Third, per W8JI's notes, the coax won't handle the power.
You have to go to RG133 (unavailable anywhere I could find on using
the GOOGLE search engine. It is 0.4" diameter stuff with a big solid
copper center conductor.  Any guess on the $$/foot if you could find
it).  Making your favorite (open wire line) is impossible for 90
ohms.  The closest one can come is 110 ohms with 1/4" copper tubing
close spaced.  Thus another design iteration.....

Anybody in the US can work JA with great signals when the band is open
on 10M using a wet noodle antenna.  I have worked a JA here who was
running 500 microwatts.  It wasn't his antenna, my antenna.  It was
propogation.  It is more a matter of knowing when the propogation is
right.

Tests all done in the 30's?? Hmmmmm.  I guess you didn't use any coax
then. Seems to contradict all you have said.  My recollection of
history is that coax as we know it was not put into service until a
few years pre-WWII.   If you did, I can understand why you hate the
stuff. No comparison to today's products.

73 de Brian/K3KO

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----