[TowerTalk] A3WS vs WARC-7

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] A3WS vs WARC-7
From: smlx@earthlink.net (Nancy & Steve Lawrence)
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 15:31:37 -0700
Thanks to all who responded to my posting of a week or so ago: W6VX, K5AQ,
N3UE, W7ZR, K3KO and Lee W.

The consenus is that Cushcraft's rating of 2KW PEP does not mean that their
antennas can handle 1500w out on CW or other high duty cycle modes. Some
even reported trap problems running low power. The problem tends to be with
the newer production processes. Some with much older antennas have never
had a trap breakdown problem at full power. If the traps were built during
the W1JR era, they're likely not a problem.

In all fairness, I also use a Cushcraft D40 - 40m dipole - which takes
1500w on cw without a problem. But it uses loading coils and capacity hats
- not traps.

My A3WS - after three DE trap replacements - will be replaced by a Force 12
WARC - 7.  By the way, the turning radius of the WARC-7 is closer to 18.5
feet vs the 21.3 feet listed in their catalog.

Thanks again - 73, Steve WB6RSE

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----