[TowerTalk] Cleaning/referb of antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cleaning/referb of antennas
From: K7GCO@aol.com (K7GCO@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 14:26:15 EDT
In a message dated 9/24/01 9:15:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time, n0tt1@juno.com
writes:<<
 > >  Some insulating material may be immune to silicone, but IMHO
 > don't  use silicone IN a coax connector or any other connector,
 > especially the mica-filled Bakelite type.
 >
 >   You don't make it clear, are you referring to silicone sealer
 > or the silicone grease, that looks like Vaseline grease (petroleum
 > jelly).

 Silicone grease...the clear type used under transistors for heat
 sinking.

 Try using the grease in a "Jones" plug, leaving 12v DC power applied
 continuously between adjacent pins (fuse the leads of course).   Then
 wait about 6 months or so.  I don't guarantee that it will short, but
 that is what I experienced.  BTW, the plugs in the mobile radio
 installs were inside the vehicle and not exposed to water, salt, etc.
 73,
 Charlie, N0TT

There may be a Silicone grease that in time shorts out somehow with 12V.

I first waterproof PL 259's with an acrylic spray to run down inside and let
it dry.  I then use RTV Silicone rubber (alcohol base instead of acetic acid)
around the center pin sine the first day it came out. I use the Silicone
grease only on the threads.  They always twist off easy, I've never had water
inside the coax and with legal power it's never shorted out.  No black traces
have ever been seen.

Charlie, can you send me some of the grease you use as I'd like to run some
tests with RF also at different levels.  k7gco

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----