[TowerTalk] guy rod angle

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] guy rod angle
From: mikerauh@ic.org (Michael Rauh)
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 17:25:42 -0400
The rod angle is indeed the angle of the (guy anchor) foundation reactions.
Foundation reactions are given in the Rohn catalog for their example towers.
  In general, we don't know the guy anchor reactions.  A rigid body model
with one pin at the base will tell us the base reaction but not the anchor
reaction for towers with more than one set of guys.  We need a model that
will tell us how the loads are distributed between the guys in order to
determine the guy anchor reaction magnitude and angle and therefore the guy
rod angle. Knowing the angle also tells us how much of the load on the
anchor is uplift and how much is lateral force, which is important in
selecting the foundation dimensions.

Sorry to take so long to respond, I've been busy digging holes and bending
rebar...

Reply to mikerauh@ic.org

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
>Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 16:14:44 EDT

(snip)
>This means that at maximum tension the angle
>of the rod is assumed to be the angle of the foundation reactions.
(snip)