[TowerTalk] U.S. Tower Raising Fixtures MAF-XXX

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] U.S. Tower Raising Fixtures MAF-XXX
From: rgagos@home.com (Roger Gagos)
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 22:48:30 -0700
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the information; the contributions since I subscribed several
weeks back have been most interesting and quite a few relevant to my
situation.

I'm currently in the building permit process on what will (hopefully!) be a
nicely-installed MA-550 crank-up mast.  I will be using the MARB-550 rotor
base with my shiny new Yaesu G-1000DXA rotor.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has installed one of the U.S. Tower
MA-series masts and the rotor OR freestanding base regarding their use of
(or non-use of!) the MAF Series raising fixture.  It seems like a good idea
for installation and working on antennas without having to strap a ladder on
the retracted mast or other scheme.  Or...is it a waste of time and money
once you have the tower installed on the base.  I don't plan on changing the
antennas real often.  The array will consist of a small-to-medium size HF
multi-band yagi (type to be determined), a multiband VHF/UHF yagi, and a
5-foot omni 2M/440 MHz. vertical.  Roof access will be difficult in this
case, so I will need some way to get to the tower top from ground
(retracted, about 24') without risking my neck.

Thanks for reading!  I'm looking forward to any comments or suggestions
based on first-hand experience.

73,

Roger, K6EQ
Escondido, CA