[TowerTalk] Tower Base Pour Today

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Base Pour Today
From: kd7igw@arrl.net (Al Ardon)
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 18:05:44 -0700
Well, I'd like to thank you all for all of the great information you've
contributed over the years. The info in the archives was invaluable.
While I've yet to pose a question, the facts were there. I can't tell
you how much I've poured through, weighing all options.

It's been a heck of a learning experience. I was able to obtain the
engineering doc's from Dispatch Communications. They have a heck of
library. From there a trip to the building department's web page to
download the forms for the Site plan and Permit Application. I was able
to secure the services of a PE who is also a great person who was able
to fit me into his already busy schedule. He ran the calc's and verified
that the plans were more than adequate for building the base.

About the only thing I grimaced about was the anchor blocks. Because of
my soil composition, he specified a cube 3/4's of a yard concrete to
provide enough weight. All total 4 1/2 yards with the base. Oh, I wanted
to share something you may have been aware of, but when I asked my PE to
"wet stamp" my drawings, he told me that was illegal, however, he did
provide a letter with the calc's and instructions with his seal on his
official company letterhead. This was accepted by Mason County, and
attached with all the documents that have to be posted with my permit in
a noticable area. Was pretty weird but they reserve the right to change
requirements at their discretion.

My hats off to Kitsap Ready Mix. The truck was here on time and the
driver was very patient even when faced with a fleet of wheel barrells.
He said we moved the mud faster then some line pumps. He was such a
great person to work with I just had to kick in a twenty to have a cold
one on me. They provided some tech info that spec'd a commercial 3000
mix. We should be ready to start putting the tower up in 28 days or so.

I guess I am so pleased with the job so far, I feel very grateful to you
all out there in TT land. I am a lurker by nature, and you may never
have utter a word to me personally but your wisdom has helped me a
bunch. Thanks!

Well there is plenty more work ahead. Still waiting on my rotor that
Craig is working on, still have to round up a mast, and decide on an
antenna. Back to the archives. Will be sure to update you all as I go.

73's,

Al Ardon
KD7IGW

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,