[TowerTalk] Re: [RTTY] AL-1200 arcing during QRO RTTYcontesting

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: [RTTY] AL-1200 arcing during QRO RTTYcontesting
From: franknorton@home.com (Frank Norton KB8XU)
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 13:42:47 -0400
FOR VERY LOW HOURS "AMP SUPPLY" AMPLIFIER---I JUST POSTED AN LK- 8877 ON
QTH.COM THIS AM.  HAD SEVERAL CALLS ALREADY.  AMP SUPPLY made some very
heavy duty product.

73 de kb8xu Frank

PS I don't usually post this type of thing but there seemed to be a
question about good amps for RTTY or ? Tnx!

At 11:26 AM 10/5/2001, you wrote:

>John, my two cents.  Over the years on RTTY I used an NCL-2000 at 600 watts
>out no problems...3 - 4 db down from 1500 watts out.  For many years used
>Amp Supply linears called LK-550.  Had two of them both running 1300-1500
>watts out with good sucess.  Have two Alpha 76CA's (three 8874's) and not
>tried them...would be curious if they are being used by anyone at 1500 watts
>output for rtty contesting.  (still have a LK550 here on shelf...they use
>three 3-500's and 1.75 amp hypersil xfmr  the xfmr weighs more than most 1.5
>kw amps...sixty pounds!)  Kept it just in case the urge returns to do some
>rtty contesting again.
>
>John...would recommend looking for an LK 550 as rf deck very rugged with
>similar bandswitch to what Alpha uses and very heavy power supply.  Just
>last week sold one of them to a fellow in Utah.  Wish I had known you were
>looking for a good stable hi-powered rtty amp as these units handled rtty
>contesting hi power for me very well.  Only probably I ever had was
>occassional arcing of load capacitor which was probably my fault for
>mistuning, forgeting to change bands/antennas  in middle of night and so
>forth.  I kept a couple of loading capacitors on the shelf just in case and
>did replace once or twice during contests.
>
>Van, K7VS (wa7fab)

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----