[TowerTalk] Theory's great... but what about the 'How To'?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Theory's great... but what about the 'How To'?
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 15:11:01 -0400
> I continue to be fascinated by the debates on TT.  The explanations
> accompanying the positions help me (and perhaps others) to understand
> the complexities of antenna theory, design, and operation.  However,
> my learning process would benefit greatly from some 'hands-on'
> experiments.  The recent exchange about use of ladder-line for an
> ALL-band dipole is a good example.

You can do very well with three programs.

One is TLA in the Antenna Handbook, another a Smith Chart
program, and also something like EZNEC.

With those three programs ( or similar programs) you can handle
almost anything. You can also dispel for yourself some of the wild
claims about broad-banding antennas with the addition of a series
capacitor or a lossy stub.

But nothing beats building something, and having it NOT work. That
is when you really learn!
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,