[TowerTalk] RE: High or Low

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: High or Low
From: dave@egh.com (David Clemons)
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 12:56:41 EDT
Hi Tom,

        That's a tough question which will likely be related to your
        particular location as much as anything.  You will hear people
        say that a low height of 30-40 feet is the best for them, and
        I believe they are correct within the peculiarities of their own
        location.

        I have tried heights ranging from 30 to 80 feet.  At various times
        I have had two identical 5 el 10 meter yagis at various heights
        (80 ft and 60 feet, 75 feet and 35 feet, 75 feet and 50 feet).
        I have always found the 80 or 75 foot heights to be equal to or
        better than the lower height.  The 'equal to' times were few and
        far between, by the way.

        I am located in SE Massachusetts, and am in an area that slopes
        downward VERY slowly in the NE direction (to Europe) according
        to the USGS map.  I have never studied the maps in the SW direction,
        but feel the area looks much the same in that direction as well.

73, Dave Clemons K1VUT

Dave Clemons

dave@egh.com
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.