[TowerTalk] RE: Crappy PL259's

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: Crappy PL259's
From: k6sdw@hotmail.com (Eddy Avila)
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 01:54:01 +0000
Hi all,

When I was a young ham in the 60's I never ever had any problems assembling
PL259 connectors, particularly when it came to soldering them to the coax.
I'm sure I never used anything hotter than a 100-watt gun!! I'd simply heat
up the connector then apply some solder and voila! It was that easy.....

But now, no matter what I buy, cheap or expensive silver-tinted PL259 and
using a 250watt gun I'm finding it very difficult to get solder to "stick"
to these crap connectors....getting really frustrated trying to get solder
to adhere to PL259's now!!!

Can someone recommend (without hesitation) a source of good-quality
connectors that can take solder like they used to?

thanks much!

73....../ed