[TowerTalk] RE: Yellow Jackets on Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: Yellow Jackets on Tower
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 16:39:00 -0600
Spirts of AMMONIA or Aromatic Ammonia works for me,
better than meat tenderizer.  You may have to ask
a druggist for it.  Apply with a Q tip.

Also, a single long sleeve shirt and single pair of long pants
is NOT enough to keep them from stinging through your clothes.
This is the voice of experience talking.  I wear a ski parka,
with hood, goggles, and face mask along with 2 pairs of long
pants tucked into high top rubber boots when nuking them at night.
Replacement screening over a hard hat tucked inside your jacket
also works.

I live in the country and always have yellow jackets flying around
but they always make their nests in the ground.  They do NOT like
lawnmowers.  Voice of experience again.  20 stings on my legs.
I NEVER mow in shorts any more, even it it's 90 degrees.
Interestingly, I've never had them make a nest on a tower, or even
bother me on a tower.  I'm speaking of the tiny yellow and black
yellow jackets which are about the size of honey bees.

Anybody know the name for the LARGE yellow and black
insects about the size of the tip of one's little finger and
a sting that you will *never* forget?

WASPS are always hanging around the tops of towers but "usually"
will not bother you if you don't bother them.  QSL on pucker factor.

Tom  N4KG