[TowerTalk] Experience with Yaesu G-1000DXA Rotor?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Experience with Yaesu G-1000DXA Rotor?
From: mpride@us.ibm.com (Mark Pride)
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 07:50:16 -0400
Been an owner of the G1000DXA for few years.  Only one small problem due to
nearby lightening hit, took out the potentiometer inside the rotor.  Fairly
simple replacement at around $23 for the part and about 45 minutes of
labor.  Followed W1WEF's method for dismantling the rotor - great!

Just purchased another G1000DXA  as a backup and was surprised to find the
control box has changed (improved) considerably.  Some additional
adjustments are now available to calibrate, and computer control (with an
optional piece).  In the purchase of the new one, was hoping to be able to
simply swap out one control box for another - surprise!  The connector has
changed, so my previous control cable connector no longer fits.  Have to
put on the new 6 pin plug (small, rectangular type, about 1/4 the size as
the earlier version).

The Rotor has not changed, same round plug.

Have the G800 as well and there is a difference here - the pins of the
connector on the rotor as much larger in diameter than the G1000 requiring
a different plug.  So the 800 is not interchangeable with the 1000 rotor,
and the new control box for the 1000 is changed to the point where the
rotor cable plug needs changing.  Note also the Control Box is the same for
the new 800, 1000 and 2800 version.

Guess we call this product evolution.  Now just hoping for some product
stability so I can begin to standardize on one rotor around here!

Regards,

Mark, K1RX

"Richard McGaver" <rmcgaver@wi.rr.com>@contesting.com on 10/23/2001
01:06:36 AM