[TowerTalk] Trylon T-500-72

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Trylon T-500-72
From: bjtatum@ev1.net (Byron Tatum)
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 19:49:12 -0500
Hello All-
        Today I finished my T-500-72 installation. My particular set-up uses
a TB-3 thrust bearing on the top plate, another plate 3' below with a
locking collar to hold the mast during antenna stacking, and the rotor plate
5' further down { in the top of the next-to-top section}. I plan to put UHF
/ SHF antennas on it with the 2" mast extending out the top about 12'.
        My base is a little larger than specified so I feel good about that,
and I like the sturdy feel of the larger sections  however I do have a
concern with the crossbraces in the top several sections. Maybe it is just
me but I have a problem with the single 1/4" bolt in the end of the
crosspieces. At times while working or moving around you find yourself with
both feet on a single crosspiece. I would feel a lot better with a larger
bolt in them, has anyone else found themselves feeling uneasy about your
life being in the hands of a few 1/4" bolts?
        By the way, I put this guy up with a homemade gin pole made out of
1-1/2" pipe, a multiple pulley block and tackle and by my lonesome {as I
worked a little here and there and did not want to bother anyone else}.
        I leveled the base section { immediately after pouring concrete}
with a 4' level per the instruction of Harold McFarlane, and was very
pleased when I laid a level across the plates up top, they were right on.
Overall I would say the fit-up of the parts was very good on this tower,
Trylon's drilling and bending is precision for sure.
        Anyway, if anyone is interested this is my report. 73, Byron,
WA5THJ.

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----