[TowerTalk] Strength of rotating towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Strength of rotating towers
From: ve3tu@rac.ca (Steve)
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:30:43 +0000
Hi Chris, if you look at Kurt Andress K7NV web site he has load analysis
of different type tower base installations and guying installations.
Your setup would be similar to a pier pin base. If you have the rotator
on the concrete pad at the base then you won't have torsional loads on
the non rotating section. If your rotator is mounted to the non rotating
section then put a torque station where the rotator is mounted. I think
the best place to have the rotator is on the concrete pad with a pipe
going up to the rotating section. To minimize wind induced torque put
the beams on opposite sides of the tower to balance out the wind loads,
that is if all the beams are pointing in the same direction and I would
also suggest you have a soft start and stop of the rotator which I
suspect would be the source of the highest torsional loads on the tower.

gl es 73 Steve

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----