[TowerTalk] RE: Several questions for the group

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: Several questions for the group
From: dave@egh.com (David Clemons)
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 12:14:26 EST

        30 feet of Rohn 25 can be safely walked up using a hinged base.
        (I know because I've done it.)  One person walks it up and two
        other people can be holding ropes which are attached to the top.
        One of these people is directly behind the one walking up the
        tower, the other is directly in front of him.  The people on the
        ropes are not there to assist in the raising of the tower, they are
        only there to make sure it doesn't flip forward (and damage the
        base) or backward when the person walking it up gets it vertical.
        This may only be a problem on windy days, but it is good insurance.
        (Are you willing to gamble with your tower or health?  I'm not.)

        The problem with raising any more than 30 feet (while using a fixed
        object like a tree as opposed to a bucket truck) is that the tower
        may start to go sideways off the intended path during the raising.
        (I have seen this happen during the raising of a crankup tower.)
        If the tower goes very far off to one side or the other, it could
        easily bend or rip apart the base.  At this point you lose the
        tower and perhaps somebody's life or health as well.

73, Dave Clemons K1VUT

Dave Clemons

dave@egh.com
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.