[TowerTalk] ma-550

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ma-550
From: ve7hcb@rac.ca (Chris BONDE)
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 18:03:45 -0800
I have seen where I was working for awhile a pulling system that might be
the same.  It worked very well.

The cable was through pullies so that one end of the cable was on the back
of the car, the other end on the front of the car.  The cable (approx
centre) was attached to the windlass system.  When you turned the crank one
way the car moved away and crank the other way the car moved the other
way.  Very simple.

The crank up towers appear to depend upon gravity to bring the section
down.  Why not set up the system so the the windlass moves the section up
or doen?

Chris opr VE7HCB

At 09:23 AM 2001-11-05 -0500, Craig Clark wrote:

>I have the same problem with my Tri-ex W-67 crank-up. The reason is that
>it was damaged in shipping and the tower is slightly bent in several
>places. Additionally, when the tower is extended, even tho it is plumb, it
>will tip a bit and that increases the friction where the sections meet.
>
>As I lowered the tower, I can see the top wire rope go slack and I
>know  the top two sections are bound. As this is on a crank-up and at
>approximately 50', the next question is what to do?
>
>What I needed was a positive pull-down scheme like the LM470 and other BIG
>towers have.
>
>I solved this problem by getting some help from the local fire department.
>
>Using their ladder truck, I attached a wire rope to the bottom of the top
>section with three wire clamps and a thimble. This rope extends to the
>ground plus a few extra feet.
>
>I attach a pulley to the tower base, run the wire rope thru the pulley to
>a wire grip attached to one of my come-alongs.  I tension the wire rope,
>lower the tower, re tension the wire rope and continue until the tower
>comes down by itself.
>
>Voila! Positive pull-down on the cheep.
>
>73 Craig Clark W1JCC
>
>Radio Bookstore & Radioware
>PO Box 209
>47 Fitzgerald Rd
>Rindge NH 03461
>

>Orders: 800 457 7373 - 603 899 6957
>         10am- 6pm EST
>Fax:    603 899 6826
>         24 hours, 7 days per week
>email:  nx1g@top.monad.net
>         radware@radio-ware.com
>sites:  http://www.radio-ware.com
>         http://www.radiobooks.com
>

>List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,
>Trylon Titan towers, coax, hardline and more. Also check out our self
>supporting towers up to 100 feet for under $1500!!  http://www.anwireless.com
>
>-----

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----