[TowerTalk] Thread Locking Compounds

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Thread Locking Compounds
From: abowen@nettally.com (ABowenN4OO)
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 10:04:59 -0500
There are at least 2 suppliers for thread locking compounds: LOCTITE and
Permatex. Our local chain type auto parts store stocks the Permatex brand.
I have seen LOCTITE at the large hardware/home supply stores.

 From the back of the Permatex display package:

Strength                Color           Max Temp                Application
Low                     purple          300 F                   #2-1/4"
screws/nuts
Med                     blue            300 F                   1/4-3/4"
screw/nuts
Permanent 26240 red             300 F                   3/8-1" screw/nuts
High Strength 27100     red             300 F                   3/8-1"
High Temp 27200 red             450 F                   5/8-1"
Large diameter 27740   red              300 F                   1" and up
Penetrating Grade       green           300 F                   #2-1/2"

Color does not always indicate exactly what you have. It is most likely
that the chain stores are going to stock the most common types which would
be the blue/medium strength and the red/high strength. Auto parts stores
may stock the high temperature versions also.

Instructions say to put the material on before assembly except for the
penetrating grade which may be installed after after assembly.

The specifications and instructions for the equivalent LOCTITE product may
be different but are probably similar. Read the label.

INK N4OO

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----