[TowerTalk] Electric Fence Wire For Radials !!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Electric Fence Wire For Radials !!
From: ValErwin@aol.com (ValErwin@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 10:47:37 EST
Tower Dudes:

I found the cheapest source of radial wire to be uninsulated, Aluminum
electric fence wire. It is sold by Home Depot and is found in the fencing
section NOT the electrical section of the store --

The wire, 17 ga., is sold in 400 meter rolls and is superior to Cu wire in
that it is more resistant to soil corrosion when buried than Cu wire here in
the Dallas, TX area --- other soil conditions may tell a different story. My
radial field under my HyTower has been in the ground now for 3 years and only
shows a slight greying-type corrosion on the wire surface.

The only disadvantage I have found is that a "special" solder (available at
Ace Hdw.) must be used if  you cannot find a workaround like I did. --- I
attached the ends of all radials to an aluminum plate via Al nuts/bolts at
the antenna base.

GL

Val
W5PUT