[TowerTalk] Transit Accuracy Statement Retracted

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Transit Accuracy Statement Retracted
From: n7vm@lgcy.com (Bill Ralston)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:08:12 -0700
Back on 11/26 I made the statement that I was able to achieve "accuracy of
1/2 inch in vertical and horizontal" when laying out guy anchor points for
my tower. When asked how I knew this, I realized I don't.  I was mistakenly
thinking that, since I could see the "stick" scale 80 feet away clearly
through the transit sight that I knew it was that accurate.  Although I may
have that much _resolution_, the _accuracy_ is a function of how well the
transmit is pointed in azimuth and elevation.

For the particular transit I rented, the azimuth scale was calibrated in
degrees. Although it has some kind of vernier scale, I never figured out how
to read it. Hence, my azimuth accuracy was probably about a degree, or 17"
at 80'; a lot less than 1/2" (but fortunately well within the requirements
of the tower!)

For elevation, the level was quite sensitive.  Based on the repeatability of
my measurements when I moved the "stick" I think it is probably accurate to
better than a foot at 80'.  This is supported by previous (tedious)
measurements of the elevation differences that were done with conventional
level and agreed within about 6".

I have a newfound appreciation for how it is that you often find several
surveyer marks at the corner of a property, none of which seem to agree on
where the actual corner is!

(By "stick" I mean the big ruler that is held vertically by one person and
is viewed through the transit to read off elevation difference by the second
person).

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----