[TowerTalk] Identifying Hy-Gain vertical

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Identifying Hy-Gain vertical
From: blueis@sprintmail.com (GB)
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 00:49:57 -0500
Good evening, all...

Recently purchased what I thought was a used Hy-Gain trapped vertical --
12AV*  No paperwork came with the antenna.   While cleaning the vertical, I
noticed that the top-most section ended with a washer-like disc about 2" in
diameter.  The 'washer' has 4 holes in it.  During disassembly for cleaning,
I found a U-shaped piece of wire under one of these screws -- leading me to
believe that the antenna had four "spokes" radiating out from this flat
disc.  (This piece being a remnant of one of those wires.)

But what really threw me was that the top of the washer had a 'standard'
3/8" stud.  This stud is identical to those commonly found in/for mobile
antennas.  I **assume** that this antenna is supposed to have a screw-on
component on top -- perhaps like one of the old Hustler mobile coils I
remember.

Two of the traps DO have part numbers (15m = #870135 and 20m = #870369)  My
'cleaning' obliterated the part number for the 10m trap.

Can anyone identify this antenna?  I have searched the Net for hours --
looking for a parts listing, photos... anything which would allow me to say
positively that this is a Hy-Gain model xxxx.  Once the model is identified,
I can order the missing "top piece".  I have an original instruction sheet
for a 12AVQ, but these part numbers do not appear the parts list for the
12AVQ antenna.

Thanks and season's greetings

Gary B
k3gb