[TowerTalk] MFJ-259B and Distance to Fault

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MFJ-259B and Distance to Fault
From: ditzian@alltel.net (ditzian@alltel.net)
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 11:42:23 -0500
I have an MFJ-259B and I want to use it to measure Distance-to-
Fault.  I tried this, following the directions, and the coax in question
showed that there was a fault at a distance far greater than the
length of the coax, even after multiplying by Vf = .66.

I then tried shorting out the end of the coax (center to braid), but I
still read a distance to fault greater than the length of the coax.
This distance is different from the one without the short.
Furthermore, at different frequencies (that show an X crossing 0) I
get different results, all distances greater than the length of the
coax, with and without the short.

Is a short at the end of the coax not equivalent to a fault?

73,
Jan Ditzian
KX2A
kx2a@arrl.net