[TowerTalk] Sigma 5

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Sigma 5
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 10:36:26 -1000
Chris,  LA8OM,  wrote,  in part:

> I installed Sigma 5 on the ground in our garden last October.

> 1500 QSOs in last CQWWDX-CW contest.  From my log
> during lunch break  yesterday: VK2, FR5, VU2, V51.  Genius,
> so small, simple and effective piece  of equipment, this Sigma 5.

The Signal 5 is only 10 1/2 feet tall from the ground mounting
on up.  Appears to be center fed,  as a 1/2 wave antenna would
be.  Note the horizontal elements at the top and a short ways up
from the ground mount stake.  Are these intended to be RF electric
field terminations intended to nearly completely replace radials?

Radials must be used below 1/2 wave verticals to terminate
the electric field lines that come from the high RF voltages
at the lower end of the 1/2 wave vertical element.  Lots
of RF current would be caused in the dirt without radials.

Is the short horizontal element near the ground of the Sigma 5
sufficient to recover 3 to 5 dB or so of loss which "ought" to be
experienced from such an antenna mounted "on the ground"?

Seems from this post by LA8OM to "work"  well.

73,  Jim  KH7M

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----