[TowerTalk] Best wire

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Best wire
From: kc5ajx@hotmail.com (Rick Bullon)
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 07:14:39 +0000

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
>Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 08:13:20 -0500
>

> > The best thing for RF resistance and life, where the wire is not
> > subjected to constant flexing, is a copper-clad steel (copperweld)
> > or hard-drawn copper solid wire.
> >
> > I prefer either copperweld or pre-stretched solid copper wire for
> > antennas.
> > 73, Tom W8JI
> > W8JI@contesting.com
>

>What is the cheapest source for pre-stretched copper?
>
>  Gary
>
>  The clock is running .......

Gary
Around here I use 12 or 14 gauge house wire Which ever I have on hand. It is
solid copper wire it doesn't stretch much, it isn't springy like some of the
stuff mentioned, and it is easy to handle although it can get a bit heavy in
long runs in the air.
If the piece I have isn't long enough I just twist two pieces together and
solder the joint then wrap it in tape and go on with the next piece.
The last dipole I ahd up here was a 1/2 wave 80 meter dipole on a push up
mast. It was made of 12 gauge wire and lasted till a big storm blew up and
folded the mast in two. It took out a few large branches of a near by tree
when it blew down but the wire never broke. In fact I still have the dipole
and it was the first antenna I built just after I was licensed in 1993.
If you have to go and buy it it is cheap at the Home and Garden stores (
Home Depot Loews etc). If you buy 12/2 or 14/2 then you get twice as much
wire. If you don't mind stripping the 2 wires apart.
73
Rick
KC5AJX