[TowerTalk] innovative ways to ground coax cables??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] innovative ways to ground coax cables??
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 16:40:16 EST
In a message dated 12/31/01 9:05:20 AM Pacific Standard Time,
res0958z@verizon.net writes:

> Having looked at the Polyphaser and Andrews coax grounding systems, and
>  primarily considering costs to install a number of these coax ground kits
>  (ie, top of tower, bottom of tower, at SPG bulkhead panel, etc) has anyone
>  any clever ideas for accomplishing the same thing at less cost?

    Not that I've ever seen. The coax shield-to-ground connection has to be a
very good compression joint since you can't solder it and an exothermic
application will melt the cable.

    The compression joint has to provide a very low resistance path to
ground. Just putting a wire under a hose clamp won't do it.

>  It looks as
>  if the Andrews system even used about a 2-4" female barrel connector
>  (PL258?) which is a feasible method, albeit I'd have some concern about
>  insertion losses with several connectors. Any help?

    I wouldn't worry about it. Connector insertion losses are very low - less
than 0.2 dB per connector and actually lower than that.

    Some PL-259 females are sometimes referred to as SO-239's.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
Tower Tech

AN Wireless Self Supporting Towers are now available!  Windloading tables,
foundation diagrams and charts, along with full details are now at the
AN Wireless Web site:  http://www.ANWireless.com

-----