[TowerTalk] 10m-20m Antennas Above 150ft

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 10m-20m Antennas Above 150ft
From: gbright@bellsouth.net (Grant Bright, Ph.D.)
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 23:26:37 -0500
Nat, I would agree with Dick completely...I have had a full size 3L20 at
150ft and many times received no greater signal report than a ham down the
street with a 3L20 at 70ft. The band opening/closing situation seems to
ring true as well.

Unless one has an antenna as Dale, W6VSS had a few years back--a monster 80
meter beam, the boom of which was a Rohn 25 tower, the band opening/closing
may just not be worth the expense, effort, and required maintenance. Now I
have two beams 4L20s at 80 ft and a 3L20 at 45 ft and hear more than some
others across town with higher beam with more elements.

Terrain, ground efficiency, and surrounding terrain are big factors for us
all. Fortunately where I am, the ground is relatively flat for several
miles in all directions...and that is great!

Unless your surrounding terrain requires you to have a "periscope" to see
out, money spent on feedlines, and grounding will pay bigger dividends!

My observations are not figured scientifically, just observations from 38
years of ham radio. I have tried 5 elements on a 46 ft boom at 55ft, 3
elements on a 26 ft boom at 150ft, and now a 4 element on a 34ft boom at
80ft and a smaller 3L20 at 45 feet--this latter pair seems to do the best
job ever.

Those gains past 3L20 at 70 ft come very hard, with much expense, much
labor, and much worry when a big wind blows, not to mention the  wear on
the knees and feet climbing up a really tall one.

That said, if I could buy a Big Bertha for $5k and install it for $5k, I
would probably do it, just for the thrill of seeing all that aluminum in
the air...but at the same time, that Big Bertha would be but a couple of db
better than where I am now and then ouch(!) on the knees.....so I have to
ask myself...."Just how much is enough?"

Best 73s,

Grant

W4OJC