[TowerTalk] Are higher HF & (6m) antenna's really better?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Are higher HF & (6m) antenna's really better?
From: ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca (Mike & Coreen Smith)
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 21:58:18 -0400
Enjoying the discussion!
Although this is an "HF" question, let me add my 2c about the Magic 50MHz
band as well.
(I've been on HF though since '78 & 6M since '91)

On 6m I almost always have had multiple antennas.  I find that most of the
time, my highest one works best, whether it be Es, AU, backscatter, MS,
Tropo, Sidescatter, F2, multi-hop Es, EME, Au-Es etc. etc.
HOWEVER not always.  With 6 meters, a lot of my "fun" is derived from
building various antennas and working new countries.
That "fun" is increased when I see how many more distant signals I can pull
out of the mud using a different antenna.

Currently I have 6 separate modest 50MHz antennas. At various times and
various paths and propagation modes, each of them has proven to be the best
at one time or another.

I know "HF only" guys tend to get into a mindset where there is only ONE
mode of propagation and that's it. (F2)
The astute 6m readers here know this is not the case, and no doubt have a
decided "edge" on HF when they know to look
for other modes of prop, rather than plain jane single Hop F2. Sometimes I
run into people who think a certain antenna is magic, no matter what the
mode, arriving angle or whatever.
It simply isn't so.

I echo the sentiments of those that have said "multiple antennas".

They couldn't be more right.

de VE9AA...118 Countries & 50 States on 6 Meters.

Michael, Coreen & Corey Smith
(VE9AA,  VE9AAA & Baby-VE9)
271 Smith Rd
Waterville, NB